"Mickey Mouse"

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Fri Dec 7 17:42:26 UTC 2001

re: Mickey Mouse boots, also known as Bunny Boots in the Tenth Mountain
Division (in WWII), we quickly discarded them. As Mark M. notes, they are
oversized and clumsy. They also charred easily when the GI is crouched over
a fire in the snow. Bunny Boots were not meant for walking, just camp use).
They were a nuisance to carry; wouldn't fold or scrunch into a wad, like
moccasins. The army designers were apparently not aware that when a human
pack mule is already burdened with sleeping gear, rifle, skis, tent, food,
ammo, etc. etc. discarding is top priority. I suppose that the army's
issuance of these items was looked upon as simply more foolish fooling
around, akin to SNAFU, etc.
Martin Murie

A&M Murie
N. Bangor NY