Huacamole (1894)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 10 19:41:51 UTC 2001

   Huacamole/Guacamole/Quacamole.  OED and M-W have 1920.  Here's the cite.

TEXAN RANCH LIFE
by Mary Jaques
Horace Cox, London
1894

Pg. 286:
   The _portales_ of the fruit market were very fine and we enjoyed the prickly pears--when they had been peeled for us.  One evening in the dusk we bought some _chirimollas_ and _aguacate_, mistaking the latter for figs.  They were anything but pleasant, but after being dressed according to Mr. Barrow's orders, made a nice dish known as "huacamole."  The figs and bananas at the hotel were delicious.