red carpet

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Dec 11 19:22:21 UTC 2001

        If you are referring to the figurative term meaning a ceremonial
welcome or lavish reception, it derives from the practice of laying down a
red carpet on formal occasions to greet important visitors.  I don't know
how long that's been common, but the OED has a 1905 quotation from the
Westminster Gazette:  "There were waiting on the red-carpeted platform . . .
officials representing the railway company."

John Baker