diabetes

Benjamin Fortson fortson at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Dec 12 21:20:31 UTC 2001

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Donald M Lance wrote:

> The discussion is proceeding as if the variant under discussion is just a
> vowel, but as DInIs points out, stress also appears to be a variable here.

I haven't read everyone's replies yet, but the variation is not just in
the vowel, but also in the voicing on the final sibilant: voiceless -tis
vs. voiced -teez. I agree that -itis words may be playing a role and, as
you say further below, that it's probably lexical.