diabetes

Thu Dec 13 13:31:08 UTC 2001

Bethany,

It was this which led me to speculate that people were simply (sic)
hearing the [I]-like (principally) southern version  of schwa in such
environments. I discovered later that people were also interested in
an [i] pronunciation and that the [I]-like ones also extended beyond
southern areas (although never, so far as has been established in the
data I have seen on the list so far, in a completely unstressed
position, as would be the case in southern speech).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages