Fwd: Phrase inquiry: "Spanish news"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Dec 14 14:19:19 UTC 2001

I can't find anything. Maybe some commentator on Tennessee Williams has
elucidated this. I found two other instances on the Web which are exactly
analogous, possibly copied from Williams' usage: they add nothing.

I am reduced to rank speculation. What word could replace "Spanish" here
and make sense? I have three answers, giving three interpretations of
"Spanish". Take your pick, if you can't find anything better.

(1) "Spanish" = "hot" (climate, spicy food, passionate temperament, ...).

(2) "Spanish" = "blunt" -- from equating the old slang nouns "spanish" and
"blunt", both meaning "money" in the same milieu (I think).

(3) [my favorite] "Spanish" = "spick-and-span" = "fresh", merely an
intensifier for "new(s)" ... "spick-and-span" of course says "Spanish"
twice, once as vulgar slang and once as an abbreviation.

-- Doug Wilson