Camb. Hist. Eng. Lang. vol. VI

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon Dec 17 22:40:54 UTC 2001

I've just gotten what I assume is a hot-off-the-press copy of
The Cambridge History of the English Language, Volume VI: English
in North America, edited by John Algeo. I assume this book will
be of great interest to most ADS-L members.

Among the essays are Michael Montgomery on British and Irish
Antecedents; Fred Cassidy and Joan Hall on Americanisms; Jonathan
Lighter on Slang; Lee Pederson on Dialects; Sali Mufwene on
African-American English; Ron Butters on Grammatical Structure;
Ed Finegan on Usage, and Richard Bailey on American English
Abroad.

It is, unfortunately, very expensive, like the other volumes in
the series, but perhaps CUP will be offering discounted copies
at LDA/ADS.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED