Bapopik at aol.com: Re: Chicago ety

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue Dec 18 04:09:21 UTC 2001

----- Forwarded message from Bapopik at aol.com -----

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:05:41 EST
From: Bapopik at aol.com
Subject: Fwd:      Rejected posting to ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
To: <jester at panix.com>

I can't even forward an ADS-L message to ADS-L!  Oh well, never mind.

--Barry Popik

   The American Name Society (post this on ANS-L!) has run articles on the name of "Chicago."  I copied what the Chicago Historical Society has--there was a long study, but I don't know if it was Vogel (1958).
   On the "Windy City" front, I e-mailed my story to the Columbia Journalism Review.  I had found the 1886 Chicago Tribune "Windy City" explanation while in the Columbia University Library.  The "Windy City" myth involves a New York newspaper editor.  Gerald Cohen (Comments on Etymology editor who published a "Windy City" article) graduated from Columbia.
   Columbia never wrote back.