Query for Southern(er)s, Southrons, or...

Donald M Lance lancedm at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Dec 19 17:57:59 UTC 2001

All these starred items could (as you imply in 3a) be possible if surrounded
by verbal context that would set them up as 'her' being equivalent to
'herself'.  Even so, the result is irony, particularly in 5b.  The syntactic
violation marks the irony even without suprasegmental or kinesic signaling.
The culture would call for deadpan kinesics for irony anyway.

DMLance