Waldorf Salad (1895)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 20 16:26:25 UTC 2001

WALDORF SALAD

   I've been going through TABLE TALK magazine (1887-1920).  The NYPL has it hidden away in the Annex.  It's in poor shape, and they're debating whether I'm allowed to copy even the index.
   I checked the online OED for TABLE TALK and AMERICAN COOKERY--the classic American cookery publications from Philadelphia and Boston.  OED hasn't a single citation from either magazine!
  M-W has 1902 for "Waldorf Salad" and OED has 1911.  It's in Oscar of the Waldorf's 1896 tome, but we'll do better.
  From TABLE TALK, volume 10, January 1895, pg. 6, col. 2:

   _Inquiry No. 3069._
   F. R. L., Watertown, N. Y., writes: "Can you give me a recipe for salad containing apples and celery?"
   _Answer._
   WALDORF SALAD.
   This salad is a very simple one, and has become so popular merely through its name and use at the Waldorf in New York.  It is composed of equal quantities of celery and chopped, raw, sour apples, dressed with mayonnaise dressing.  At that hotel it is seldom served as a course, being preferred with game, and is in reality what is called a game salad.  It is a favorite custom, more often adopted at "stag dinners" than elsewhere, to serve the salad with the game instead of as a separate course.

   From TABLE TALK, volume 11, January 1896, pg. 12, col. 1:

   _Inquiry No. 3547._
   A. M. B. of Leadville, Col. writes: "I would be grateful if you will give me the recipe once more for Waldorf salad, as I cannot find my copy of TABLE TALK containing it, and we all thought it very nice indeed."
   _Answer._
   WALDORF SALAD.
   This salad is composed of equal parts of celery and chopped, raw, sour apples, dressed with the mayonnaise dressing.  At the hotel which gives it its name it is seldom served as a course, being preferred with game and is, in reality, what is called a game salad.  THis custom of serving salad with game is more often adopted for "stag dinners" than elsewhere.

SHTUPPELLED MATSOS

   From TABLE TALK, February 1895, pg. 51, col. 1:

   _Inquiry No. 3138._
   Mrs. D. R., St. Paul, Minn, writes: "Will you kindly explain what matsos are and where made?"
   _Answer._
   MATSOS.
   (...)(Col. 2--ed.)
   ...the inspector (or "Shomer" as  he is called)....
   The "matso"...is placed upon a large plate, "docked" all over with small holes (or, as the workmen themselves call it, "Shtuppelled,") and immediately "skived" or cut into cakes of the desired size.