Waldorf Salad (1895)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 20 06:03:40 UTC 2001

At 11:26 AM -0500 12/20/01, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    _Answer._
>    MATSOS.
>    (...)(Col. 2--ed.)
>    ...the inspector (or "Shomer" as  he is called)....
>    The "matso"...is placed upon a large plate, "docked" all over
>with small holes (or, as the workmen themselves call it,
>"Shtuppelled,") and immediately "skived" or cut into cakes of the
>desired size.

Now THERE's a job:  a matzo-shtuppeller.  I guess if there are all
those slurs derived for words for the male organ (shmucks, dorks,
putzes,...), there might as well be a verbal derivation from the
corresponding verb (to shtup), although one doesn't necessarily
conceive of the relevant action as hole-making, exactly.

larry