Percentage point--missed word in dictionaries

Wed Dec 26 19:51:16 UTC 2001

I'm sorry for dropping out of this thread after having started it...

I originally posted this from a different list and the original
poster didn't explain in any further detail why he thought
percentage point has been missed.

Looking at my AHD3 (sorry, it's the only monolingual English
dictionary I have), point seems to work for this compound as in

20. A single unit, as in counting, rating or measuring.

Percentage, though, seems quite a bit less clear:

1.a. A fraction or ratio with 100 understood as the denominator; for
example, 0.98 equals a percentage of 98.

b. The result obtained by multiplying a quantity by a percent. 2. A
proportion or share in relation to a whole; a part: The hecklers
constituted only a small percentage of the audience...

While point has another definition that gets close,

23.a. A unit equal to one dollar, used to quote or state variations
in the current prices of stocks or commodities.

b. A unit equal to one percent, used to quote or state interest
rates or shares in gross profits.

it seems that the meaning of "percentage point" would not be
transparent if the reader found these definitions.

Benjamin Barrett
gogaku at ix.netcom.com

P.S. I have blind cced this back to the original poster as well :)

For
> example, in AHD you can look up percentage, and you can look up
point (one
> meaning -- "a single unit, as in counting, rating or
measuring") -- and