Cocotaxis & Camels

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Dec 29 00:36:45 UTC 2001

   Greetings again from Havana.
   It´s bizarre seeing all these 1950s cars...Walking out of the hotel is always a challenge--everyone approaches you.  "Taxi?"  "What is the time?"  "What are you looking for?"  "Where are you from?"  "My friend--!"  "Canada!!!!"
   I have a free day tomorrow, and I´ll see if the national library is open.  I´m looking for newspapers in English from the 1920s-1950s.  I know of a few, such as the HAVANA JOURNAL.  I have limited time on this internet, but maybe someone can check the Cuban national library´s (online?) catalog and make research requests/suggestions for Saturday.

COCOTAXI--Or, Coco Taxi.  A taxi that´s more like a golf cart.  It looks like half of a shell of something.

CAMEL--The local bus.  It´s a truck, with a two-humped thing in back for passengers.  It´s very long; a really strange public transportation vehicle to see on the highways.

TOURIST TREE--a turpentine tree, because the bark is flaky, like a tourist with sunburn.

SANDWICH HABANERO--ham, cheese, vegetables, roasted pork.

HELADO CUBANO--vainilla (sic) and chocolate ice cream. white rum, coffee.

These drinks are at my Golden Tulip hotel:
MOJITO
DAIQUIRI FRAPPE
RON COLLINS
HAVANA SPECIAL
CUBA LIBRE
MULATA--dark rum, lemon juice, creme de cacao brown
CUBATA--dark rum, cola, lemon juice...$5.25
   Coffee:
GARIBALDI--Golden Rum, whipped cream
HEMINGWAY--Bourbon Whiskey Jack Daniels

CUBANITO--Served at the nearby Plaza Hotel, but I didn´t see the ingredients listed.