Gundagai: Beef Wellington (1965)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 1 06:32:31 UTC 2001

GUNDAGAI

   As you may know, I just came back from Australia.  I visited Gundagai.  I also visited the dog on the tuckerbox, nine miles from Gundagai.  (The distance varies--some have it as five miles.  Check the many web sites on Google.)
   It's SAT on the tuckerbox.  In the statue, the dog sits.  Too bad I can't post my "Popik & Tuckerbox dog" photo here.
   In the famous song, the dog also SITS.
   No tourist literature that I came across said SHAT.
   But the legend goes back to the 1850s, and that's tourist literature!

BEEF WELLINGTON

   OED doesn't have Beef Wellington.
   Is Wellington an English dish?  Australian?  American?
   Jean Anderson's AMERICAN CENTURY COOKBOOK (Mariani doesn't include the dish), pg. 126, notes the absence of the dish in THE COOKING OF THE BRITISH ISLES (1969).  She provides 1968 cites from HOUSE & GARDEN magazine and AMERICAN HOME magazine, then HOUSE BEAUTIFUL in January 1970.
   Merriam Webster has 1965.
   I have:

December 1965, GOURMET magazine index:
Beef, Filet of, Wellington...105

December 1966, GOURMET magazine index:
Beef, Filet of, Wellington...65

   I suspect it may come from Louis Szmathy (correct Hungarian spelling?) and his famous Chicago restaurant.  I'll do some checking.