surveiling, to surveil?

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 2 12:48:10 UTC 2001

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Laurence Horn wrote:

> It's in the on-line OED, though, with citations back to 1960 (first
> cite from a U.S. federal document, perhaps not surprisingly.  I think
> of it as being in the same (back-formed) bag as "liaise"

Here are two earlier examples (I don't quite understand the usage in the
first one):

1914 _Southern Reporter_ 65: 162  Even a compromoise by an insolvent
client of the judgment or decree obtained by the attorney will not be
surveilled or interfered with by a court of equity.

1926 _North Western Reporter_ 208: 877  The lieutenant of police
dispatched these two officers to surveil her premises.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,