African Road Signs

Grant Barrett gbarrett at MONICKELS.COM
Fri Feb 2 17:57:05 UTC 2001

On vendredi 2 février 2001 00:17, Your Name <Lina.Hawkins at BERLITZGLOBALNET.COM>
wrote:

> Some of you might find these interesting.

I am not the list manager, but I would like to politely ask you not to send large
files, such as a 283 KBPowerPoint slide (a proprietary format, no less). That file
could have easily been a simple text message (although there is a bit of charm in
photographs).

I am in France and sometimes, depending on whether AOL is working, I pay by the
minute, not only for Internet access but local calls as well. Sending large files costs
me money.

What the slides said:

"DOCTOR SURGERY (big Red-Cross-type symbol)
At Prime Butchery"

(road sign giving directions)
Katima Mulilo -->
<-- Katima Mulilo

"CAUTION
Tree in centre
of road"

"No parking above this sign"

"Toilet -->
Stay in your car."

"DANGER AHEAD
Fasten safety belts
and remove dentures."

"Trespasers will be
shot, survivers
will be shot again." [Their errors, probably a bad attempt at intentionaly
rustic-ness; I've seen those words on signs above bars and in various places around the US, in
any case.]

--
Grant Barrett
New York loves you back.