emoticons

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Feb 2 21:17:13 UTC 2001

--On Friday, February 2, 2001 3:48 pm -0500 Drew Danielson
<drew.danielson at CMU.EDU> wrote:

> Thinking more about the history of emoticons, their precedent seems to
> me to be the smiley faces and whatnot drawn in notes passed in class and
> other informal, handwritten correspondence.  Whether that has any
> relevance to the history of English orthography, I cannot say.

I exchange word-processed letters with a friend, and he's taken to use the
smiley emoticon in what are otherwise fairly expressive and well-edited
passages of prose.  (Which seems like a step away from the e-mail use and
into other forms of writing.)  MS-Word, when I type in ":)", automatically
changes it to a smiley dingbat--I learned this when writing something
parenthetical about long vowels.  Maybe the smiley dingbat should be
imported into the IPA.

Lynne

M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics