Chef Salad and many more

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 3 08:30:39 UTC 2001

   Below is some stuff that caught my eye.
   The RHHDAS does indeed have "Christmas Tree," without the "effect."
   Johnson & Wales University (Providence, RI) lets you use their culinary library by appointment only--and they never got back to me.

CHEF SALAD

   Jean Anderson's AMERICAN CENTURY COOKBOOK has "The Evolution of Chef's Salad" on pages 270-271, but the best she could find was 1940.
   "Chef Salad" is in WHEN ACTORS EAT--WHEN THEY EAT (Lymanhouse, publishers, Los Angeles, 1934).  The recipe is from actress Anne Sothern.
   "Chef's Salad" is in AMERICAN COOKERY magazine, June-July 1934--May 1935, pg. 607.

(Don't remember if I posted this before, but "The Salad Bar" is in AMERICAN COOKERY, June-July 1940--May 1941, pg. 436--ed.)

JOHNNY MARZETTI (Feb. 1943?)

   AMERICAN COOKERY magazine has "Johnnie Marzelle...268" under "MEAT" in February 1943.

BEEF STROGANOFF

   I'm having a very difficult time finding a pre-1930s Beef Stroganoff.  Even cookbooks with international recipes (with recipes from Russia) didn't have it.  I didn't see it in the very comprehensive GANCEL'S ENCYCLOPEDIA.

1933--INTERNATIONAL COOKERY (Ernest Benn Limited, London) by Lilla Deeley.  "BOEUF STROGANOFF (Russian beef stew)" is on page 37.

1933--COOK'S TOUR OF EUROPEAN KITCHENS (Chatto & Windus, London) by K. and M. von Schumacher.  "BEEF STROGANOW" is on page 115.

SHASHLIK

   THE INTERNATIONAL COOK BOOK (Doubleday, Page & Co., 1906) by Alexander Filippini also does NOT have Beef Stroganoff.
   It does have:

2829  Chachelique, Caucasus

CHICKEN ALLA CACCIATORA

   Mariani can't do better than the 1930s.
   "Chicken alla cacciatora" is on page 30 of THE ITALIAN COOK BOOK: THE ART OF EATING WELL (Italian Book Co., NYC, 1919), by Mrs. Maria Gentile.

CHINESE CHEWS

   Jean Anderson doubts a dating before 1950?
   DIXIE MEALS (Parthenon Press, Nashville, 1934), by Florence Roberts, has "Chinese Chews...188" under "CAKES."

CHOPPED LIVER

   From THE INTERNATIONAL COOK BOOK (Wilcox & Follett Co., Chicago, 1933), by Madeline May, "Jewish Recipes," pg. 59:

   _Chopped Liver_
1 goose liver
1 hard boiled egg
1/2 onion
Pinch of salt and pepper
   Fry the liver and let it cool.  Then add it to the onion, hard boiled egg and seasoning.  Chop this mixture very fine.  Serve daintily on lettuce leaves.  Calves' liver may be substituted for goose liver in this preparation.