[Fwd: Re: Fw: Emoticons/smileys in Word]

Drew Danielson drew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Sun Feb 4 18:21:15 UTC 2001

Frank Abate wrote:

> Seems to me this is starting to get off-topic . . . or is it?
>
> Anyway, in Word 2000 on my PC, if you type :) the default is to give you a
> smiley face.  If you truly want a colon followed by a closed parens, you
> must type a "backspace", and the smiley goes away, and you get what you
> actually keyed.  The same thing happens with other key combinations in Word.
> These are "smart" functions built into Word.  You can turn a lot of this
> stuff off, thankfully.

Under the "Tools" menu, choose "AutoCorrect..." (in Word2000 you have
expand the menu; AutoCorrect is not in the short version of the menu by
default).  The dialog box that appears has all of the built-in auto
correct words - here you can delete :) = <smiley face>, or any other
auto-formatting or auto-text features (like the automatic replacement of
"To whom it may concern:" with "Dear Sir or Madam:").