Spiedi (1942)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 5 21:40:23 UTC 2001

SPIEDI (continued)

   This is the earliest.  Camillo's did not exist this year.

1942-1943, BINGHAMTON (NY), pg. 59, col. 2:
_S D S GRILL_
   SPIEDI LAMB BARBECUE
Every Thurs., Fri. and Sat. Nite
HOME STYLE SPAGHETTI
AND MEATBALLS A SPECIALTY
ALL LEGAL BEVERAGES
Corner Henry & Libery Sts.
224 Henry...Bngtn 4-9692

CONEY ISLAND

   Marzetti's restaurant is here in the Columbus (OH) telephone books, but there is _no_ ad in anywhere.  What a disappointment.  I was looking for the "Johnny Marzetti" casserole.  I saw a national ad for Marzetti's tomato sauce in a GOURMET issue!
   FWIW, here's a Coney Island/hot dog.

July 1949, COLUMBUS (OHIO), pg. 314, col. 4:
_PHILLIP'S CONEY ISLAND_
   THE
ORIGINAL LOCATION
"Famous for Chili, Coney Islands and Sandwiches"
(...)
1244 W Broad...RAndlph-0148

MISC.

   The Natchitoches telephone books were no help at all.  Just a listing of about 12 restaurants (in the mid-1960s books I looked at).
   I wanted to check out "sloppy joe," but they have no Souix City, Iowa telephone books.
   It looks like I have to copy my birth certificate and bring a letter from the pope to get into the Johnson & Wales Culinary Library.