Train station

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Feb 6 17:11:52 UTC 2001

I grew up (Detroit) with "Greyhound/bus depot/terminal/station". One would
usually refer to "railroad stations", less often "railway/train stations"
in general, but usually one would refer to a particular railroad station by
a specific name, since there were separate ones in the same city --
freight, passenger stations, suburban stations, commuter stations, etc.
Some people routinely used "depot" for "[railroad] station" but I think
that was probably a little bit old-fashioned.

"Depot" is always like "DEE-po" in my (US, civilian) experience. In the
(US) armed forces, it's usually "deppo", I think: sometimes one encounters
"reppo-deppo"/"repple-depple" for "replacement depot" IIRC. The RH
dictionary gives "deppo" as British or military; M-W (Web) gives "deppo" as
first alternative for "storage place"/"cache" versus "railway/bus station".

-- Doug Wilson