people of color & Chicano

Joe Pickett Joe_Pickett at HMCO.COM
Wed Feb 7 14:51:18 UTC 2001

All of the words that have been under discussion here recently [Hispanic
(and Latino), Chicano, (person of) color, colored, nonwhite] are discussed
in usage notes in AHD4, along with other words like Anglo, Latina, and
race.

The difference in meaning and in usage between Hispanic and Latino is
discussed in some detail in the note at Hispanic.

Sorry if I keep pointing out features of this book, but I think these notes
on social terms are particular useful.

Joe

Kim & Rima McKinzey <rkm at SLIP.NET>@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on 02/07/2001 02:47:59
AM

Please respond to American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

Sent by:  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>