meat pies

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Feb 7 17:28:45 UTC 2001

Natalie Maynor <maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU> writes:

Lynne Murphy wrote:

> These meat pies are a plot point in James Wilcox's novel _Modern
Baptists_
> (1996).  At least I quite sure that's the book that had 'em.

I just went down the hall and asked Jim Wilcox about meat pies.  He
can't remember mentioning them in any of his novels but said that
it's possible -- and that I'd gotten him curious about how and why
he might have mentioned them.  I'll let you know if he discovers
that meat pies were indeed in _Modern Baptists_.

     [...]

He said that meat pies were regular pies (as in apple pies or whatever)
but contained ground meat along with things like potatoes and onions.
I asked him if they were like shepherd's pie, and he said sort of but
not exactly -- that he thought of shepherd's pie as more of a casserole-
type dish.
<<<<<

How about chicken or beef pot pies? Those should be "meat pies" by any
definition. I've always enjoyed it as a hot meal that has everything in one
dish: meat, vegetable, sauce, and bread (the crust).

-- Mark A. Mandel