Beef Wellington (1951); Beef Stroganoff; Where's the Beef?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 8 01:27:52 UTC 2001

BEEF WELLINGTON (continued)

   From GOURMET, May 1951, pg. 71, col. 2:

Q.  Several months ago, I had dinner at Patio Bruno in New York and enjoyed the most delicious meat--beef Wellington.  I am anxious to secure the recipe for this very intriguing dish.
DR. FRANK R. ROMANO
DUNELLEN, NEW JERSEY

A.  Good friend Mr. Bruno has found it in his heart to pass his excellent recipe on for your--and our--delectation.
   _Beef Wellington_
   Trim a good-sized filet, smear it generously with butter, and spinkle it with salt and pepper.  Put it in a flat pan with scraps of celery, onion, and parsley, 1 bay leaf, and a pinch of rosemary and roast it in a very hot oven (475 degress F.) for 20 minutes.  Remove it from the oven to cool.
   When the filet is cold, spread all the surfaces with a substantial layer of _pate de foie gras_ and wrap in rich pie pastry, rolled about 1/8 inch thick.  Trim the edges of the pastry, moisten them with a little cold water, and press firmly together.  Bake the rolled filet on a baking sheet in a hot oven (450 degrees F.) for about 15 minutes, or until the crust is delicately browned.  For a shiny crust, brush the surface with beaten egg yolk before baking.
   Add 1 cup veal gravy, 1/4 cup _pate de foie gras_, and 1 large truffle, chopped, to the pan in which the filet was first roasted.  Simmer the sauce while the pastry-wrapped filet is baking, strain it into a sauceboat, and serve separately.

BEEF STROGANOFF (continued)

100 RECETTES DE CUISINE RUSSE (1924)
Helene Goloub (This book is in French--ed)

78 Blinis
36 Boeuf Strogonof  (Recipe 36 is on page 17--ed.)
15 Borch a l'Ukranienne
(...)
45 Chachlik

WHERE'S THE BEEF?

   From INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, April 1947, pg. 22, col. 2:

   Friendliness and courtesy in dining cars have been traditions on our railroads, although a maxim attributed to the late Fred Harvey, of Santa Fe fame, was "Cut the bread thick and the ham thin."