Geocaching, Geocacher; Jake, Joey

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 8 18:32:31 UTC 2001

GEOCACHING, GEOCACHER

   See the VILLAGE VOICE (www.villagevoice.com), "Machine Age," 13 February 2001, pg. 33, col. 1:

_Romancing the Stash_
Geocachers Seek What Lies Beneath
by Geoffrey Gray
(...)  We're playing a new game called geocaching, a high-tech treasure hunt that begins with clues placed on the internet and ends with real-life pursuits, assisted by handheld global positioning system gadgets that reveal your exact location on earth, in latitude and longitude.  (...)  Players gather online at Geocaching.com, the slick, user-friendly Web site that has brought together some 6000 people in over 20 countries, most of them looking for stashes containing utterly worthless items.

(I don't understand the name.  Who would want to catch a Chevy Geo?--ed.)