Asian = Oriental, etc.

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Feb 9 03:23:29 UTC 2001

How so?  Recently, I objected to a term b/c of my visceral reaction to it,
but I was able to give some reasoning to it.  I'm not baiting you, Benjamin,
with my question, but I would like to know why Oriental "simply sounds
derogatory."

BTW, I'm young enough to have never really used this term much--I've always
used Asian- or Asiatic, or when the usage was preferred or proper, Japanese-
or Chinese- (never Sino-)--but I have read "Oriental" in plenty of texts
that are a little before my time.

I find nothing wrong with the term, but I enthusiastically agree that people
should be called whatever makes them comfortable or whatever they feel to be
correct and proper.  But I would like to know what makes Oriental "simply
derogatory."

BTW, as to Sino-, my intro to lit class looked at "The Garden of Forking
Paths" tonight, so Borges' use of "Sinologist" was on my mind.

bob