(no subject)

Natalie Maynor maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU
Fri Feb 9 15:43:58 UTC 2001

Jerome Foster wrote:

> Oriental but that went out for some reason though my local supermarket sells
> Oriental food and there is a market that sells only Oriental food run by
> Asians who don't seem to object to the term.

And places like The Oriental Bazaar, a popular store in Tokyo.  Fwiw,
I've yet to find an Oriental who finds anything wrong with the term,
though I've heard that Asian-Americans on the West Coast do.  The
Japanese friends I've discussed this subject with find it very strange
to think that they should be offended by being called Oriental.
   --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)