Asian = Oriental, etc.

Natalie Maynor maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU
Fri Feb 9 15:48:47 UTC 2001

Frank Abate wrote:

> The PC objection to "Oriental" is based on etymology (from Latin =
> _oriens_ 'rising'; that is, in the direction of the rising sun) -- that =
> it labels people from a Western perspective.

> I contend that arguments for or against certain usages that are based on =
> etymology are weak, as word origins are not generally in people's =
> awareness as they use language.  Etymology is a fascinating study, but =
> has little to do with everyday usage decisions.

True.  And I've never quite caught on to why it's "wrong" for us to
use a directional term but it's ok for Japanese, for example, to call
us Westerners (yoofuku) or to have toilets in department stores labeled
"Japanese" or "Western" (a reference to their style -- not to who is
allowed to use which one!).

   --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)