Latin in the Vatican

pskuhlman at JUNO.COM pskuhlman at JUNO.COM
Fri Feb 9 17:30:57 UTC 2001

        I don't know when Latin ceased to be the "lingua franca" of the
Vatican, but can direct Bob Wachal to the person who will definitely know
the answer.  He is Father Reginald Foster, an American priest who has
worked in the Vatican's secretary of state office for many years as one
of the Pope's Latin language secretaries.  He also teaches Latin at the
Gregoriana, the pontifical university in Rome and runs his own summer
school for serious students of Latin.   I studied with Reginald and know
him quite well.  I'm sure he'd be glad to answer your question.  You can
reach him by mail:
        Reginald Foster
        Piazza San Pancrazio, 5A
        00152 Roma
        Italy

        I can tell you that all important Vatican documents used to be
promulgated in Latin.  Now the original of a document is written in the
language of whoever is heading up the committee working on that document.
 It is then translated into the other major languages including Latin.  I
can also tell you that Reginald  Foster and his officemate converse in
nothing but Latin.  The ATM machine near their office has the prompts
written in Latin.  So, lovers of Latin, take heart.  Latin isn't dead
yet.
        Patricia Kuhlman (lurker)
        Brooklyn, NY
        pskuhlman at juno.com