Asian, Oriental, and other terms of endearment

Pearsons, Enid epearsons at RANDOMHOUSE.COM
Fri Feb 9 20:20:01 UTC 2001

Unless I am reading too hastily, there appears to be an assumption in this
thread that all older people (i.e., the parents and grandparents mentioned)
are prejudiced, narrow-minded, socially and linguistically insensitive,
incapable of change, and ignorant. That has not been my experience. Nor
would I want to believe that all younger people are smug, arrogant,
prejudiced, narrow-minded, and prone to generalizing about their elders from
manifestly limited experience. Let's not exclude ageism from the list of
attitudes we all want to avoid.

        Enid (who confesses to the occasional Senior Moment)

Enid Pearsons
Senior Editor
Random House Reference