why Oriental is offensive

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Feb 10 06:24:42 UTC 2001

Without making any statement about my own usage or opinion, just FWIW, I'll
summarize my observations from twelve years in Pennsylvania plus eight
years in Wisconsin. In casual conversation, in a neutral non-pejorative
context, persons who appear to be of sub-Saharan African ancestry are most
often referred to as "Black", persons who appear to be of European ancestry
are most often referred to as "White", persons who appear to be of East
Asian ancestry are most often referred to as "Oriental", others are most
often referred to by circumlocutions such as "He looks like an Indian or
something" or "He looks like a Mexican or something". I do not perceive a
significant difference between usages by speakers of various ethnic groups.
I have not done any formal survey.

On the other hand, today I inquired of a college student -- whom I know
well -- about "Oriental" versus "Asian": he replies that he would never use
either of these as a racial designation, and in fact that he strenuously
avoids any mention of "race" in any context whatsoever, since one never
knows who might be offended by what.

Two true passages from my recollection (not meant to be representative of
anything necessarily):

US-born US-an, Chicago, ca. 1977: "Have you yourself experienced any racial
prejudice since you've been in the US?"
Chinese-born US-an, about 10 years in US: "Only in San Francisco."

US-born US-an (of "European-Japanese" ancestry), Pittsburgh, ca. 1991: "Is
your wife Oriental?"
US-born US-an (of "European" ancestry): "Well, I guess so; she was even
more ornamental when she was younger."

-- Doug Wilson