Reuben's Special

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 10 23:31:06 UTC 2001

28 December 1949, NY HERALD-TRIBUNE (Clementine Paddleford column), pg. 22, col. 6:

_How Reuben's Lives Up to Sandwich King Title_
_Creator of Double-Decker_
_Has 44 Menu Selections;_
_Each Is a Meal in Itself_
(...)
   HANDOUT MEAL--It started back in 1915 when Mr. Reuben had a small delicatessen in the theater district on Broadway.  A show girl came in one evening and asked him as a favor to fix her a free sandwich.  She was out of work and had come to the end of her funds.  Mr. Reuben took a French loaf much as delicatessens use for sandwich making and cut it on the bias, four long slices, buttered them well, then laid on the works, first sliced ham, next sliced turkey, then Swiss cheese, after that sliced onions and sliced tomatoes, cole slaw, and Russian dressing.  He piled the pieces one on the other; the result was an astounding victual.  "Name it Annette for me," she said, realizing that here was something truly impressive.  Mr. Reuben gave his handiwork an admiring glance.  He noted it as something no existing lip could reach around.  "No, indeed, " he said, "I name this Reuben's Special."  Later the girl Annette danced her way to success and came into Reuben's night after night t!
o order "The Sandwich."  Others
took notice and ordered what they called Reuben's double-decker.