Le Fooding; Ghoul Factor

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 10 00:19:21 UTC 2001

In a message dated 02/09/2001 1:58:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

>   From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 9 February 2001, pg. W11, col. 1:
>
>  _All the Rage in Paris?  Le Fooding_
>  by Jacqueline Friedrich
>     PARIS--FOODING IS the buzzword of the moment here.  Merging the English
> words for food and feeling into a French noun, it was coined in early '99
by
> Alexandre Cammas in the hip Parisian magazine Nova.  And ever since, _le
> fooding_ has been on every Paris gastronome's lips as well as on food-
> oriented pages from Elle to the Air France in-flight magazine. (...)

I have done zero research on the following topic and am wondering if anyone
has examined it:

For years the French have been complaining about "Franglais" (the use of
English words in French.)  But Franglais has been around long enough that one
might expect it to develop some words of its own that are in neither French
or English.  "Fooding"---certainly not an English word---is a good example.
Another one is Franglais "le park" for parking lot---the English noun "park"
means "le parc".

>  --------------------------------------------------------
>  GHOUL FACTOR
>
>     From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 9 February 2001, pg. W8, col. 6:
>
>  _"The value will soar when the artist passes away."_  A creepy but
> troublingly common sales pitch, the tendency to bet on aging artists is a
> strategy so common it has inspired its own name--the "ghoul factor"--and a "
> Seinfeld" episode.  But would-be ghouls be warned: The math doesn't work

See Mark Twain's short story "Is He Living Or Is He Dead?"
(see for example Charles Neider ed _The Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain_
pp 307-314)

      - James A. Landau