German toast?

Mon Feb 12 17:00:05 UTC 2001

"My dear old uncle Herman,
says that French toast should be German.
I'm telling you,
it's a mad, mad, mad, mad world."

>From "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

The French call it "pain perdu" ... "lost bread".  I
would seriously question "Mr. French" as the first
concoter or the epoymn for the name: 'french toast' -
by whatever name - and its baked relative, bread
pudding, have probably been around as long as bread,
eggs, and milk.

--- Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
> At 4:10 PM -0500 2/10/01, Barnhart wrote:
> >I've been interested in the origin of French toast
> and German toast.
> >One speculation is that French toast was concocted
> first by a Mr.
> >French about 1724 in Albany, N.Y.  The earliest
> evidence I've found for
> >the term (for the egg variety) is 1882 (OEDs).
> Several sources have
> >mentioned the name French toast as an alternative
> arising from distaste
> >of things German in the wake of WW-I.  They suggest
> that the name was
> >German toast.
>
> I'm surprised it didn't shift to "Liberty toast"
> then.  Are there any
> other instances of "German X" shifting to "French X"
> at that time of
> de-Hunification?    (Please don't tell me that
> pre-WWI teenagers gave
> each other German kisses...)
> larry

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued