Hero (1951); Pina Fria (1952)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 13 02:23:05 UTC 2001

HERO (continued)

   From the NEW YORK HERALD-TRIBUNE, 4 July 1951, "Firecrackers and Sparklers Sizzle in Food Editor's Mail" by Clementine Paddleford, pg. 7, col. 8:

   BING-BANG--The beginning of the Po' Boy sandwich we credited to a sandwich shop in New Orleans.  Philip A. Greco, of Stuyvesant Oval, writes that "When I attended St. John's University we had an English course that dealt with modern words and their origin.  Po' Boy, I learned, is the English version of the sandwich called Pour le bois by the French lumberjacks.  The sandwich was so named because it was their sole meal during the day in the forest.  These sandwiches were made of a loaf of bread sliced through the middle and filled with meat, boiled cabbage or spinach, tomatoes, cheese and sometimes green peppers.  The sandwich varied according to the amount of food remaining from the past evening meal.  I am presently doing some research on the word 'hero.'  As soon as I can trace the sandwich to its source I will send the material to you."

(If Paddleford had coined "hero," this would have been a joke--ed.)

PINA FRIA

   FWIW to "pina colada."
   From the NEW YORK HERALD-TRIBUNE, 22 March 1952, pg. 9, col. 7:

_Eating, Drinking in Puerto Rico_

Fish Dishes, Unusual Fruits and Cool-Blended
   Concoctions of Rum Are Bases of Hospitality

By Clementine Paddleford

   Along with the room key the incoming guest at the Caribe Hilton, San Juan, Puerto Rico, receives a card of welcome inviting him to a drink on the house.  Unless the guest has had a due warning, he may suffer a stroke, for when the production arrives at the table he finds it gargantuan.  It's a whole coconut in husk, a slice off the top, the center filled with crushed ice and dynamite.  The ingredients for your welcome include two ounces of Puerto Rican rum, one ounce of apricot liqueur, one ounce of coconut cream and a dash of lime.
   In much the manner of Trader Vic of Oakland, Calif., the Caribe-Hilton has taken over the whole world of rums and the knowledge and understanding thereof.  Go into its sea-breeze cooled bar and they present you a menu titled "Bebidas Tropicals," listing eighteen rum drinks.  Pina Fria has music in its name: two fingers of cold fresh pineapple juice are blended with one and one-half ounces of white Puerto Rican rum and a half teaspoon of sugar.  Shake with fine ice; strain into a champagne glass.  San Geronimo  punch takes its name from Old Fort San Geronimo on the east grounds ofthe hotel.  This is a tough one.  The fort has stood as a Spanish bastion for 400 years and this drink is made to commemorate lasting bastions.  Here's the mixture: take two ounces of Puerto Rican rum, one and one-half ounces of orange juice, one and one-half ounces of pineapple juice, one-half ounce of lime juice, one teaspoon of sugar, shake well with crushed ice and pour into a Collins glass.  At!
 the Caribe Hilton the price is
70 cents.