water fountain..

GSCole gscole at ARK.SHIP.EDU
Wed Feb 14 02:32:20 UTC 2001

Mark,
Sorry, I don't think that I'm bright enough to cause all that much
confusion; and confusion was not my intent.  The usage that I noted the
other day is just that, a not unusual usage.  You raise a very good
question.  My original response to the list was to note the use of
Occidental in a current news article.  The conjuration of 'water
fountain' was not my doing, merely my reporting.

There are fountains that don't circulate anything, except light, as seen
in those splayed fiber optic 'fountains'.  A search on the net will show
that I'm not the one who dreamt up the concept of (non-drinking) water
fountains.  The term has been used for several years, and I'm not sure
why the differentiation, by those on the net, is necessary.

The sales pitches for some of those fountains shown on the net would
lead a reader to the understanding that they're sold as functional
items, beyond being ornamental or artistic creations.  The sound of the
falling liquid is considered to be a functional aspect, therapeutic to
some degree.  Several dealers have also mentioned the humidifying aspect
of a water fountain, for the dry air of winter lodging.  I've seen one
note about the cooling presence of the water fountain.

The Lexington Herald-Leader news item, sent earlier, poses a
relationship between a moving water fountain and the enhancement of
health and prosperity.  I can't imagine what a still (non-moving) water
fountain would look like, but the person mentioned in the article must
have used a similar phrase, i.e., moving water fountain.  Perhaps the
writer of the article could provide further enlightenment on the usage.

Now, to me, 'sand fountain' is a confusing topic.  Some use sand, some
also use water.  Also, there are geological formations that spew
minerals, but they are called vents, and not fountains.  The usage rules
are much too complex for my understanding at this time.

George Cole   gscole at ark.ship.edu
Shippensburg University