From Guinea to Ginzo?

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 14 15:08:02 UTC 2001

In a message dated 2/13/01 6:21:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, douglas at NB.NET
writes:

<< There are several possible origins of "gonzo" in English; the straight
 borrowing from Italian seems likely, now that I think of it. But around
 1970, when the word was apparently 'new', it seemed to me and to others
 that it was an elaboration of "gone": maybe there was convergence/confusion
 of two words, or maybe this was rapid folk-etymology.

 Anybody recall "gonzo" in English from much before 1965-70? >>

One of the Jim Henson Muppets was named "Gonzo".  He appeared on the "Muppet
Show" as early as 1976.  I have no idea if he appeared on "Sesame Street"
before 1976 and, if so, how early.

                - James A. Landau