Computer proverbs

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Feb 14 15:20:46 UTC 2001

        Although the other proverbs quoted below are not specific to
computers, no. 5 very much is.  The blinkenlights poster is considered
emblematic of pre-PC mainframes, when "hacker" was a term known only to
computer types and had no pejorative sense.  The "Blinkenlights
Archaeological Institute," http://www.blinkenlights.com/, is a web site
devoted to computer history.  It includes this text of the blinkenlights
poster on its home page:

ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen peepers!
Das machine control is nicht fur gerfinger-poken und mittengrabben. Oderwise
is easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowen fuse, und poppencorken mit
spitzensparken.
Der machine is diggen by experten only. Is nicht fur geverken by das
dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseenen keepen das cotten picken hands in
das pockets, so relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights

John Baker