Asian = Oriental, etc.

Beverly Feldt bfeldt at WORKPLACEPRODUCTIONS.COM
Wed Feb 14 15:18:21 UTC 2001

>> Granted, people should be called what they wish to be called, but
>> didn't Japan call itself The Land of the Rising Sun?

>Yes.  And their flag is a flag of the rising sun.

I believe the term comes from the Chinese name for Japan, "Rben," when
means "root of the sun" -- the east, from the Chinese point of view.  So
we have the same problem as westerners using "Oriental."  I guess the
Chinese are Occidental, compared to the Japanese.

Interesting that the Japanese adopted the name.  I suppose being the
source of the sun puts you at the center of the universe, even if the
idea is based on someone else's view that they are the center.

Beverly