Shoofly Pie (1924); Culinary Historians

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 15 10:15:10 UTC 2001

SHOOFLY PIE

"Shoofly pie and apple pandowdy"
--sung on a Seinfeld episode

   John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK has:

_shoofly pie._  Also, "shoo-fly pie" and Montgomery pie."  A pie made of molasses and brown sugar, so called supposedly because one had to "shoo away the flies" from this sweet dessert.  It is of Pennsylvania Dutch origins, but was not mentioned in American print until 1926.

   Jean Anderson's AMERICAN CENTURY COOKBOOK never mentions it.
   DARE hasn't reached "s."
   I have:

THE OAK LANE COOK BOOK
Published by the
A. W. T. (ALL WORK TOGETHER) SOCIETY
of the
OAK LANE BAPTIST CHURCH
OAK LANE, PHILADELPHIA, PA.
1924

     PIES
(...)
Shoo Fly...107-108

CULINARY HISTORIANS

   I have recently joined the Culinary Historians of New York (founded in 1985).  There are Culinary Historians in Connecticut, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Ontario, and Southern California.  You can join the NY group by contacting Wendy Clapp-Shapiro (I always clap for Shapiro) at CULHISTNY at YAHOO.COM.
   NY members include Jean Anderson, a director of the Horticulture Society of NY, several editors for Martha Stewart Living, a former directress of the Cordon Bleu Cooking School, some NYU and NYPL people, a Redbook editor, several Gourmet editors, and some restaurant people.
   The next lecture is February 28, 7 p.m., French Culinary Institute, 462 Broadway, 2nd floor, "Haute Cuisine: How the French Invented the Culinary Profession," by Amy Trubek.

JOHNSON & WALES SAGA--I have not heard a response to my request to use their culinary library, sent two weeks ago.  Being a member of the NY Culinary Historians, a contributor to OED and DARE, and having antedated most every American dish is not nearly good enough for a RESPONSE.  I don't know what to do.  Do they also want a letter of recommendation from Anthony Hopkins?