Mall; Fast Food magazine

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 16 01:40:37 UTC 2001

MALL

   Is OED done with this entry?
   "Mall" jumps from 1914 to 1963.
   I ran across this in CHAIN STORE AGE, October 1959, pg. E3:

   _Downtown malls_
_The changing character_ of retailing is illustrated, this month, by the increased interest in downtown mall plans, of which Kalamazoo, Mich., is the current shining example.
   Kalamazoo's permanent downtown mall, described and analyzed in detail elsewhere in this issue, is an expression of the great need to do something to pull the central business districts of our nation out of the low estate in which they have fallen.

   A web page is at www.kpl.gov/history/mall.html.  "ALL ABOUT KALAMAZOO--FROM WHEEL TO HEELS--THE MALL CITY."  The nation's first pedestrian shopping mall opened there on 19 August 1959.

FAST FOOD MAGAZINE & OTHER PERSONAL TRIBULATIONS

   I had planned to do brilliant work this three-day weekend with my Columbia pass and the Clementine Paddleford columns (1936-1966).  Instead, I'm wasting my time playing chess.  I got a call from my old buddies about the U.S. Amateur Team tournament and a "chess emergency"; some team members had taken ill, wouldn't it be great to see the old guys again.  Well, no.  I quit 20 years ago.  Ahh!
   Today, in the NYPL, I'm copying tons of stuff, for hours, I get back from the copier with some books, and SOMEONE STOLE MY BAG!  It was an ordinary plastic bag, it had a $3 umbrella in it, and some worthless copies of CHAIN STORE AGE...There was also an annex request that never arrived, and for which they had no record.  I went nuts.
   Now, the good news.
   FAST FOOD (1920-1974) has been copied; the microfilm number is *ZAN-13573 on http://catnyp.nypl.org.  As you might remember, all 50+ years of it were sent for microfilming in 1999.  The whole thing hasn't been available for two years.
  I'll get to it next week.  I'm playing $#%&ing chess this weekend, so I would have read it today, but the catalog says Science, Industry, and Business Library, and of course it's in the OTHER building...