Hero sandwich (May 1951)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 16 06:58:29 UTC 2001

   From the NEW YORK HERALD-TRIBUNE, 31 May 1951, pg. 24, col. 1:

_Handsome "Heroes":_
_Take Your Pick_

An Italian Meal in a Loaf
  Is Making Its Imprint
  in the Sandwich World

By Clementine Paddleford

   That monster contraption, the "Hero," an Italian meal in a loaf, has spread its weight around considerably in the sandwich world.  It's being copied internationally.  It's the Italian groceries and the delicatessens where Heroes are made and often doing a luncheon business big enough to make Leo Lindy turn pistachio with envy.
   The Manganaro grocery at 486 9th Ave. is famous for its Heroes,and the noon rush hour is a crush, five men at work making the "big boy," some thousand a day.
(...) (Long description of heroic ingredients--ed.)
   _Hobo and Po' Boy_
   Hobo is the name for a "Hero" met at the Sussman Volk Delicatessen, 90 Delancy St., introduced to us by the late Alvin Volk in 1949.  He had made the "Hobo" for 28 years, this made more or less like the Ninth Ave. variety but Kosher meats used, the slices big and thick to match the bread.  No more Hobos we hear since Mr. Volk is gone.
   On a New Orleans visit we met the Po' Boy.  Two brothers named Martin fashioned this "hero" and today have two beautiful drive-in places in Gentilly on the Highway all because of Po'boy's successful career.  (...)
   _The Double Submarine_
   Far off the beaten path of epicures and stuffguts is Twilleys little snack bar opening on the main street, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.  One hot Sunday we stood at Twilleys bar to see who came to buy "subs" and to get the details.  (...)  (No etymological info.  "Paul Bunyon" sandwich is mentioned--ed.)
   FRENCH HERO--The French have a sandwich Pain Baignade that is a whole meal luncheon when served with red wine. (...)

(Another discussion of Reuben's ends the article.  It doesn't look from this that Paddleford coined "hero" in the 1930s as Mariani implies, or coined it at all--ed.)

BLOCKBUSTER SANDWICHES

   From CHAIN STORE AGE, january 1955, pg. 25, col. 1:

   _Blockbusters at Marshall_
BLOCKBUSTER--"the sandwich sensation of the year."
   That's what Marshall Drug Co. (northern Ohio--ed.) thinks of its meal-in-itself sandwich and that's the way it blasts in a full page newspaper advertising.

SANDWICH ARTICLES

   From CHAIN STORE AGE, July 1953, pg. 12, col. 1:
_AUGUST IS SANDWICH MONTH_
_"These are our most promotable sandwiches"_
(Col. 2--ed.)  Listed below is a sampling of what fountain-restaurant managers reported were their most promotable sandwiches:
 French Fried Shrimp...
 Poor Boy Sandwiches...
 Jalopy Sandwich...
 Loaf-type Sandwich...
(Col. 3--ed.)
 Dagwood Sandwich...
 Catalina Club Sandwich...
 Smoky-Pig Sandwich...
 Pimento Cheese, lettuce and sliced tomato...
 Dixie Sandwich made of three link sausages and barbecue sauce on a toasted bun, at 49 cents.
 Glamourized Franks...
(Pg. 13, col. 1--ed.)
 Barbecue Sandwich...
 Hoagy Sandwich...
 Bacon Burger...
 Francheesie...

   From CHAIN STORE AGE, September 1954, pg. 8, col. 3:
_You Name It_
   "One submarine", said the customer.  "A Hero coming up". replied the waitress.
   No matter what you call them though, these sandwiches go over in a big way whether it's in Beverley, Mass., where they're called Garbygoulas; Florida, where they're known as Cuban Sandwiches; New Orleans, where they're described as New Orleans Poor Boy; or New York, where they're sold as Hero.
(Sandwich description cut--ed.)

   From CHAIN STORE AGE, September 1955:
Pg. 28, col. 1--Rothbard's Special; Hot Prime Rib of Beef Sandwich.
Pg. 28, col. 2--The Long Fellow; Open Faced Hamburger Topped With Rarebit.
Pg. 29--Denver Sandwich; Monte Cristo.
(Photos and ingredients listed, along with the restaurant names--ed.)

(NOTE:  I have NOT been seeing "sloppy joe," or "BLT" for bacon-lettuce-tomato--ed.)