HANS; Smoothie gets the "hot dog" treatment

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 21 01:15:50 UTC 2001

HANS (HEAD AND NECK SAFETY)

"Look ma, no HANS!"

   From the NEW YORK POST, 20 February 2001:

   But it could not determine if his determine if his (Dale Earnhardt's--ed.) decision not to wear a new protective device called the Head and Neck Safety, or HANS system, contributed to his death, said a spokemsman for Volusia Country, Fla., where Daytona is located.
   The debate over use of the U-shaped brace--designed to lessen the pressure on the neck and base of the skull--intensified last year after three NASCAR drivers died of similar head injuries.
   NASCAR recommends its drivers use HANS, but it is optional.
   In Sunday's race, about six drivers used the device, but most of those in the 43-car field did not, calling it too cumbersome.

(Insurance companies will probably make it mandatory now--ed.)

SMOOTHIE GETS THE "HOT DOG" TREATMENT

(Attached is e-mail to and from JUICED magazine.  FWIW, I haven't even received one "smoothie dollar"--Barry Popik)

>From "Defining The All-American Smoothie" by Laurie Belongie, JUICED
magazine, February 2001 (www.juicedmag.com/articles/121feat1.html):

Through the years, the word 'smoothie' described many things from girdles to
cigarettes. However, the evolution of the word, and the beverage, began in
the late 1960's when "hippies" began making fruit and fruit-based drinks
blended with thickeners such as wheat grass or bran. In 1973, Stephen Kuhnau
founded a shop called Smoothie King in New Orleans, starting the smoothie
revolution.

   WHY DID YOU IGNORE MY WORK ON "SMOOTHIE"?
   Didn't I give it to your writers for free?  Didn't I tell you that I was a
consultant to the Oxford English Dictionary?  Didn't I tell you to go to
www.americandialect.org, and check the ADS-L archives for "smoothie" and
"smoothee"?
   How can you possibly say that the evolution of the word began in the 1960s
when I gave you a citation from 1941?

Barry Popik (a ridiculously nice guy)
Bapopik at aol.com