Nu-Shu

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Feb 22 19:20:55 UTC 2001

At 10:39 AM 2/22/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I think you are absolutely correct. I've seen this a couple of times, but
>the film clip and story are pretty old by now and Boontling may have died
>out. The standard reference work on it is Charles C. Adams. Boontling : an
>American lingo, with a dictionary of Boontling. Austin : U Texas, 1971
>(reprinted 1990). The work grew out of Adams' 1967 Ph. D. dissertation
>done here at University of Washington titled: Boontling, limited language
>of Boonville, California and its environs.
>According to Adams, "Boont" is either the town of Boonville, or as a verb,
>to express anything in "Boontling" a resident of Boonville is a "Boonter".
>
>allen
>maberry at u.washington.edu

There was an interesting article about Boontling in the San Francisco
Chronicle a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/02/05/MN158281.DTL

Paul
Paul Frank
Business, financial and legal translation
 From German, French, Chinese, Spanish,
Italian, Portuguese and Dutch into English
paulfrank at post.harvard.edu | Thollon, France