query

jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu Feb 22 19:33:18 UTC 2001

The use of "over to" where "over at" would normally occur (as in
"we had dinner over to Jackson's Restaurant") is fairly common
among members of my father's family (who currently live in
northeastern MA and southern NH, but whose parents came from
southern VT).  It has a straightforwardly "down-home," nonstandard
flavor in context. I couldn't tell you how it originated, though.

I hear "looking to" for "planning to" all the time.  It strikes my ears
as colloquial but standard.

Joanne Despres
Merriam-Webster