A Man about a Horse

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Feb 22 22:40:31 UTC 2001

>Is anyone familiar with the expression "I have to see a man about a
>horse," meaning "I have to shop for a gift, but I can't tell you that
>because the gift is for you"? It was common in my family, but I haven't
>found a single non-relative who understands it. Thanks so much.

I've heard it many times. In my experience there is a general meaning -- "I
have to perform an errand [which I don't want to specify]" -- and there are
some specialized meanings, of which the most common is "I have to go to the
toilet". I've heard it used for "I need to do some private business", "I
need to go and talk privately with somebody", etc. The shopping
specialization above is natural but I'm not sure I've heard it myself.

The dictionaries show "I have to see a man" and "I have to see a man about
a dog"; I've heard both, but I've heard the "horse" version most often.

The dictionaries give meanings "I have to go to the lavatory", "I have to
go to urinate", "I have to go out for a drink", "I have to meet a
bootlegger", "I have to visit my mistress", etc.

-- Doug Wilson