eye-dialect

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Feb 23 16:46:59 UTC 2001

>Another good example is "wuz", as in "We wuz robbed!".  (Try saying
>it in a way that DOESN'T correspond to "wuz".)  A more interesting
>example is "luv" ....

There's also "cum", as used in pornography. I suppose this shows evolution
into a separate word, and perhaps some don't recognize it as "come" any
more. [When parents install Internet-censorship software, they may inhibit
the children's natural interest in the Latin classics!]

I don't like eye-dialect myself: it's usually a "cheap" way to stigmatize a
fictional character, and an insult to the reader IMHO.

I do like wimmen and likker, though.

-- Doug Wilson