"Back in the Day"

P2052 at AOL.COM P2052 at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 23 18:38:33 UTC 2001

In Montgomery, AL, there is a black radio DJ who has a segment called "The
Back-in-the Day Buffet."  On it, he "serves up" numerous hits from the 60s
and 70s.  I often hear "back in the day" used in nostalgic reference to a
distant past.  It may be a time which the speaker/writer considers generally,
but more often, personally, better than the present.   Contexts in which the
phrase occurs, "I was a 'player/lover' back in the day!" and "Man, back in
the day, I could do 300 situps and not even 'break a sweat'," suggest that
the phrase is about one's heyday.
                         PAT