presidential nominative-objective

Drew Danielson drew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Fri Feb 23 20:57:54 UTC 2001

Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> >"I, first, look forward to the visit," Bush said. "I'm anxious to meet the
> >prime minister. We've had a couple of good conversations on the telephone.
> >I'mthankful that he's coming across the -- actually coming down from Canada
> >-- but coming across to see, to visit us. Laura and I are looking to having
> >a private dinner with he and Mrs. Blair Friday night.  "
> >
> >Lynne
>
> And note the "looking to" = planning to.  Although this usage wasn't in my
> childhood vernacular, I've found myself using it occasionally recently
> (it's very common in southern Ohio) but am always startled afterwards (tsk
> tsk, what have I come to!?!).

I discussed the "looking to having" bit with a friend, and we had two
different reads on it.  He read an elliptical "forward", as in "looking
forward", while I read it as "looking to have", but switching from
infinitive to participle in mid-thought.  Your vernacular suggestion
sounds a lot more likely, and sort of supports my friend's read.