dialect in novels

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri Feb 23 22:24:02 UTC 2001

I believe that the short written forms "gonna" and "gotta" are synonymous
with their respective standard written forms.  The equivalent in standardese
of "I'm gonna go to London" is "I'm going to go to London," not "I'm going
to London." (You need two "go's" in the second sentence as well, since
"gonna" means "going to", not "going to go".)  And again, the standard
written form of "I gotta go to London" would be "I've [or I have] got to go
to London."  (The "have" or "-'ve" is actually often included in the
fast-speech version as well.  On the other hand, the statement "I got to go
to London" is in fact ambiguous without more context, because it could just
as easily be intended to mean "I (-'ve) got to go to London."  You could
disambiguate it by adding either "yesterday" or "tomorrow", as appropriate.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
1533 Early Drive
Saskatoon, Sask.